AFA In Schools offers free or low-cost music education residencies to area schools that enhance their ability to provide quality arts programming to its students and, in some cases, to support schools and community organizations where fine arts programming has been eliminated or may just be getting started.
Many AFA In Schools programs feature collaborations with AFA’s Presenting Partners or other professional arts organizations. Most residencies include performance opportunities for participating students that involve their peers. Programming focuses on three key areas:
THE CREATIVE CLASSROOM
Encouraging elementary, middle and high school students to experience music not just as a technical art but as a creative one.
- Composing for school ensembles
- Piano or guitar and songwriting
- Improvisation and instrument-making
- Composition clubs
SMALL ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE
Enhancing the ensemble experience through work in small groups.
- Year-long chamber music residencies
- Small ensemble coaching to prepare for concerts/competitions
- Large ensemble coaching, master classes and clinics for bands, orchestras and choirs
- After-school performance classes
MUSIC AND THE MIND
Customized music programs for children and adults with physical or developmental disabilities.
- Elementary music for children adapting to cochlear implants that focus on developing speech and language skills
- Working with developmentally disabled children and young people with behavioral disorders to encourage creative expression through film-making and composition
- Offering vocal and choral training opportunities for the visually impaired
If you are an educator or parent interested in hosting AFA at your school, Contact Us today.